I'll come back after thinking about it.

Hi. Shop attendants in Korea are generally more attentive than those I see in Australia. Sometimes, I felt a bit uncomfortable when all I wanted to do is some window shopping. :) After I browsed items while the attendant was following me, I would say a white lie that I would come back. I think this is a very common expression to get away from them. :)


I'll come back after thinking about it.
생각해 보고 다시 올게요.


생각해, sangakhae, think (생각하다)
보고, bogo, see (보다)
다시, dasi, again
올게요, olgaeyo, will come (오다)


생각해 보고 다시 올게요.
sangakhae bogo dasi olgaeyo.


'verb + 보다 is a expression to say that you experience or do something even though 보다's original meaning is 'see'. '생각해 보다' means you will do some thinking. '입어 보다' means you will try the clothes on and '비교해 보다' means you compare things.

And 보다 can change the ending in various ways to carry slightly different meanings.
생각해 봤어요. -> (I) have thought about it. (past tense)
생각해 볼게요. -> (I) will think about it.
생각해 보세요. -> (You) Think about it.
생각해 봤어요? -> Did you think about it?
and so on.
'생각해 보고' is a reduced form of '생각해 볼게요. 그리고'. 그리고 (gerigo) is a conjunction word meaning and.

Use this expression as many as you want and never feel guilty from not buying anything. :)

One last thing, window shopping is known as 'eye shopping' in Korea. It is a good example of broken English or Konglish. Find a whole bunch of Konglish from here. It might be helpful to know. :)

Bye~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please top up 5000 won on my card.

From which exit should we meet?

And then, and then