Do you mind if I get off here?

Hi all. Taxis are relatively cheap in Korea so I often use them whenever I visit. The problem is that the traffic jam in Seoul can be horrifyingly bad and the taxi won't move while the meter keeps ticking. :( When I see people walking move faster than my taxi, my mind starts see-sawing between "Should I get off here and take a subway?" and "It will get better.. let's see after this intersection..". It could happen to you too. So remember this expression. :)


Mr. Driver, do you mind if I get off here?
기사님, 여기서 내려도 될까요?


기사님, gisanim, Mr. Driver + suffix
여기서, yogiso, here
내려도, naeryodo, if (I) get off (내리다)
될까요, duelggayo, is it OK (되다)


기사님, 여기서 내려도 될까요?
gisanim, yogiso naeryodo duelggayo?


님 in 기사님 is a title that could be used to honor both men and women. You can put this after many nouns like 선생님(sunsangnim, teacher) and 교수님(gyosoonim, professor) or after a name instead of using 씨. So you could call me either Min님 or Min씨. 님 can be used after on-line IDes while 씨 is used only with a real name.

Anatomy of 여기서. 여기 means here. -서 is shortened from -에서 and carries a meaning of origin. For example:
말레이지아에서 왔어요. -> (I) come from Malaysia.
강남에서 만나요. -> Let's meet at Gangnam.

도 in 내려도 is explained in a earlier post at here.

Bye for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please top up 5000 won on my card.

From which exit should we meet?

And then, and then